Isolation



 How are you doing?

I hope you are well.  I hope you are healthy.  I hope you are in good spirits.

The only thing I am sure of right now is that, in some form or another, you are isolated.  This is hard.  Let’s be honest.

Being the amateur etymologist I am, I had to look into the word origins of “isolation” and discovered that it is a rendering into English of the French isolé, from Italian isolato, from Latin insulatus "made into an island," from insula “island.”  Well, that makes sense.

Do you feel like you’re on your own little island, disconnected from the world around you?  You might have some immediate family around you, but all the members of the community which usually make up your “world” are “over there.”

It reminds me of one of my favourite hymns when I was a child, “Jesus Bids Us Shine."

Jesus bids us shine with a clear, pure light,
Like a little candle burning in the night;
In this world of darkness, so we must shine,
You in your small corner, and I in mine.

How are you doing in your “small corner?”  I really do hope you are well.  I hope you are finding ways to “shine.”

Being isolated, being restricted to your small corner, your island of the world, can feel overwhelming at times.  I won’t bother to share platitudes about how “it will all be over some day.”  Comments such as this are usually unhelpful at best and, in some cases, make the hurt of “right now” more poignant.  We need to find ways to live here and now, and to live with meaning and purpose.

I don’t have answers, but I do have experience to share.  As a Newfoundlander, I have learned that there are both disadvantages and advantages to being on an island.

Isolation means being “distanced.”  We hear the word used every day, social distancing and physical distancing…. Growing up, I was acutely aware of a “distance” that separated me from the rest of the world.  To go anywhere “else” meant a 9-hour car ride followed by 7-9 hours on a ferry, or for those who could afford it, at least an hour by plane (and I grew up relatively close to the Mecca of St. John’s).  Everyone who was not from “The Island” was a “CFA-er” (Come From Away-er) no matter how long they resided there.  Even the TV affirmed our distance from "the mainland” when announcing that the program we wanted to watch would start “a half-hour later in Newfoundland.”

On the other hand, this distance was not all bad.  It provided us with a sense of safety.  I remember the song “Thank God We’reSurrounded By Water” (written by Tom Cahill and performed by Joan Morrissey - https://youtu.be/nloH_akwNWc). I would happily sing along to this tune as it played on the radio most Saturday mornings.  Even when the world felt like it was going crazy around us, we could distance ourselves in some way.  This distance has also affected our culture significantly.  Not only were we surrounded by water, but each small community was itself isolated for the majority of the year.  This isolation incubated the hodgepodge of dialects and traditions which we now lump together as “Newfoundland Culture.”  Trust me, many Newfoundlanders can still identify which part of the island you come from by YOUR accent, and don’t get me started on traditions.  Get three Newfoundlanders in a room and get them to agree on the rules to the game of "120’s” or the correct recipe for a "Jiggs Dinner" and I’ll eat my hat!  Isolation helped to preserve (keep safe) important things.

Isolation means being “alone” in one form or another.  This generally sucks.  My family is spread out over much of mainland Canada.  This is the reality for most Island families.  When I was in my first parish on the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland I saw communities disappear due to out-migration.  In two cases, the last family simply moved away.  In the case of Great Harbour Deep, the population of around 100 was resettled all at once to multiple communities, often many hours apart, isolating former community-members even from each other.  Isolation deeply challenges our identity.  We are social creatures after all.

On the other hand, this isolation has produced a fierce identity and pride amongst us.  People find it funny when I make the comment that we were generally glad to have Canada join Newfoundland in 1949.  It isn’t a joke.  We tend to identify as Newfoundlanders first and Canadians (grudgingly) second.  This is not a slight, but a point of honest pride.  Members of Great Harbour Deep who made their way into my parish in the early 2000s were quick to identify their heritage and tried to find ways to work together to integrate their customs into local communities.  One of my personal heroes, Mr. Rick Mercer, is a Canadian icon, and has done so as a proud Newfoundlander.  Isolation has led us to enter into the community of Canada without losing who we are.  Canada is NOT a melting pot, but a multi-faceted, rich, deep, and colourful kaleidoscope. Isolation provides an opportunity to celebrate who you are, right here and right now, regardless of whether or not you are blessed to be a Newfoundlander.

Isolation means being “unsupported” in many ways.  Who can you turn to when you are alone?  Who will watch over you when there is no one else there?  This can be very scary, especially for our vulnerable populations.  Newfoundland’s history is almost completely made up of stories about vulnerable persons.  Even the richest and healthiest member of Middle Barachois could find herself penniless and dying in the midst of a harsh winter.  Our Island history is primarily made up of communities which were small, poor, and, generally, unsupported.

On the other hand, we are still here.  How did we survive?  I believe that there are two factors.  First, a brute determination to survive together.  And second, a sense of humour (dark at times) which allowed us to put yesterday behind us, see the future as unwritten (open to interpretation), and live in the present.  Many are the stories of communities coming together in creative and selfless ways to ensure that everyone had not only the necessities of life, but knew that they were “a part,” even when apart.  Being community can be challenging at the best of times, but isolation pushes our active role in maintaining community to the forefront.  If the “easy” way of being community is no longer an option, then we will find other ways!  I need say little about the Newfoundland sense of humour that has not already been said better by others.  What I will add is this: I have found that at the heart of our humour is a realism which keeps us grounded in the present, while “making light” of past hurts or future promises.

I hope my ramblings have rung true with some of you.  Do you feel the "distance,” the “alone,” or the “unsupported?”  How have these aspects of isolation been a part of your story?

I invite you to share some lessons from my heritage.

Isolation can also mean “safety.”  Be safe, keep others safe. Focus on preserving what is really important.

Isolation can also mean “maintaining your pride.” Take the time to focus on “you” and those isolated with you.  Celebrate who you are.

Isolation can also mean “relying on each other."  The community can no longer be made up of only those who “show up.”  Reach out.  Reach out in need and reach out to offer help.

Isolation does not mean that we are helpless victims.

Isolation offers us a challenge to be the best people we can be.

You in your small corner...

Comments