27 August 2013 reflection

27 August 2013

"Nations shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
   and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
   neither shall they learn war any more." (Isaiah 2:4b).

"By the tender mercy of our God,
   the dawn from on high will break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
   to guide our feet into the way of peace." (Luke 1 78-79).

And there's the dichotomy in which I live as a Chaplain to Canadian Forces - a peace-loving warrior.

From the day I decided to pursue this career, right up to today, I constantly evaluate the virtue of war, the responsibilities of each nation to maintain a standing military (for self-defence at the least) and the prayers for peace I lift up every day.

How can I, a disciple of the Prince of Peace, support those whose 'profession of arms' calls them to use deadly force in the name of my country?

I never heard our role more eloquently described than I did this past spring at our Annual Chaplain's Retreat.  Padre John Fletcher, our incoming Chaplain General, referred to us as "the conscience behind the hand that holds the sword."  I can live with that....actually, that's a role I am proud to fulfill.



Comments